Kristen Stewart in Balenciaga | 2012 MET Gala

Kristen Stewart in Balenciaga | 2012 MET GalaPhotos: kristenstewartdaily.net; Style.com
I have a bit of a fashion crush on Kristen Stewart — I don’t deny it; I accept it and embrace it. Nine times out of ten I love her look and that’s usually because I feel like I can identify with her in terms of style preference.

Now, let’s talk about her look tonight for the ‘Schiaparelli And Prada: Impossible Conversations’ Costume Institute Gala.

I dig it. Yeah, I said it. If you don’t, you can do either one of two things…continue reading as to why I love it — or bounce out now.

As the face of Balenciaga ‘s newest parfum, the 22-year-old actress made her red carpet debut in a Balenciaga by Nicolas Ghesquière color-blocked leather and silk embroidered dress from the Fall 2012 collection.

She arrived at the Metropolitan Museum of Art as the guest of head-designer Ghesquière.

Kristen wore a strapless cocktail dress with a silver and black  snake print wool jacquard v-neck bodice. Between the bodice and her knee-length, blue leather pencil skirt were two color-block leather inserts in red and dark purple. The center colors were modified slightly from the original dress.

Kristen Stewart in Balenciaga | 2012 MET GalaKristen Stewart and designer Nicolas Ghesquiere at the MET Gala.
This design screams “wear me Kristen!” No, seriously — if she can’t pull this off, no one can. I think she succeeded. It was edgy; it was cool, 1980s retro and a great choice for tonight.

While I could see it more for a premiere or photocall, it still worked. Although, I think if it had been customized into a full-length column gown with a slit up the back, it might’ve been even better for this particular fête.

Kristen kept her nails nearly bare in Chanel “Beige” polish and rocked smokey eyes with a thick black top liner as gorgeous cascading waves fell over her shoulders.

She finished off her look with black “Bobine” heels from the collection that were thickly laced with white strips all the way up to her ankle. These were the same shoes seen with the dress on the runway, so I’m not surprised that she wore them.

Do I have another preference? Sure! But, these weren’t bad.

One thing is for sure — she’s definitely a “Balenciaga girl”! Kristen embodies the brand.

So now that you’ve heard my thoughts, tell me YOURS! What did you think of Kristen’s look tonight?

Kristen Stewart in Balenciaga | 2012 MET Gala Balenciaga Fall 2012 Pumps with Lace Up Detail Kristen Stewart in Balenciaga | 2012 MET Gala

9 Responses to “Kristen Stewart in Balenciaga | 2012 MET Gala”

1. Melissa says:

I think this would have worked anywhere but a red carpet…maybe editorial, etc. But…If anyone can remotely pull this off, it’s Kristen. If this dress were on anyone else, i would deem it hideous.

2. @fearlessmore says:

really awful, as usual.No elegance, no class, no glamour, no charisma.

3. sherry says:

I love this dress on her. The shoes with it looks stylish tbh. Some are complaining that the dress and shoes cut off her legs. We always see her wear short dresses and this length is just fine on her and fits the event. This dress is meant to be that length so that it can be worn in events with people wearing long gowns.

4. beatrice says:

if it wad dress it was perfect but not in knee length

and i like her hair in pony tail

5. Steffi says:

Were the hem 8 inches shorter, it would have worked. The length isn’t flattering to her legs and the shoes are tied too high, ruining the angle of her ankles and calves. The skirt would have needed to be more snugly fitted, to run this long. They’re tiny details, but they throw the entire outfit off kilter. It’s a near miss, but still a miss.

The hair and make-up, on the other hand, lovely!

6. Anitabonita2413 says:

Okay, she looked gorgeous in the dress. Shoes weren’t my favorite but they have grown on me. I agree that the dress was more of a premiere dress. Now if we compare to some of the other dresses, this was not the only inappropriate dress worn tonight.

7. Laura says:

I LOVED it. I think it worked great for her and her personality. Wasn’t expecting to like it, but it looks great on her! Also loved the hair & make up Adir & Jillian did. They always do a lovely job. I think you could really tell she was comfortable in what she was wearing, and loved representing Balenciaga with Nicolas. Really liked that they tweaked it a bit to fit her style better. The pop of color with the pink was perfect. Not the biggest fan of the shoes but I think they work with the dress, and it is the MET Costume Institute Gala after all. Over all I really enjoyed this look! Great choice to show off our new Balenciaga Girl. ;)

8. Erika says:

At first from the livecam i didnt like the look, but after seeing pictures i love it.
    I think this is the only colorful, edgy not a gown at the met this year and she made herself stand out.
    She needs to wear these edgy looks more, she can pull them off.
    Also those shoes idk if i love them or hate them, from far away the look like socks with heels.

9. nina says:

yeah, while those heels will take some getting used to(mainly because I think it’s unflattering to the leg, and if Kristen and her legs can’t pull it off when they consume 75% of her body, no one can). But I did like the bodice and pencil skirt. I would have liked to see the skirt fitted just a tad better on her too, and maybe a bit longer or shorter(the current length isn’t best suited for her body). But overall, it’s a nice departure from the more flowery or glamorous confections that dominated the night.