Longer days, rays of sunshine and afternoons of relaxing on the sand are just around the corner, but you can get a head start now by prepping your fingers and toes with the OPI Spring/Summer 2015 Hawaii Collection! Yes, you read that correctly — the iconic polish brand is taking your nails on a cruise through paradise with 12 gorgeous colors (including 7 cremes and 4 shimmers and 1 glitter) that will have you dreaming of days on the beach in Honolulu.
I didn’t have to wait long to try each color out because the cool crew at OPI sent the collection my way for a swatch review that I can share with all of you! Check out all of the bright shades below..
Suzi Shops & Island Hops
– This pale baby pink creme is one that I feel we’ve seen many times from OPI, although I’ve always liked it as a classic soft shade for spring. Formula-wise there was a bit of streaking with both the first and second coats; I used three thin coats and a good top coat to smooth everything out.
Do You Take Lei Away?
– This is a beautiful nude creme, and a great base if your into nail art. I really like this one and feel it complements the other colors in the collection as well. Application was good as it didn’t give me any issues; I used two coats for coverage.
– A pretty pastel mint green creme that instantly gives you spring vibes when you put it on. I had a little streaking on the first coat, but that is to be expected with light colors. I used three thin coats and top coat to smooth everything out.
Is Mai Tai Crooked?
– This is a tropical tangerine orange crem, and it’s much darker than I thought it would be. It’s very close to OPI Where Did Suzi’s Man-go? so, while it’s not not a dupe’, you probably don’t need both. I used two coats for coverage.
Lost My Bikini In Molokini
– A bright purple creme with a smooth and easy to apply formula. The coverage was great and really only needed one coat, but I used two just to be sure.
Hello Hawaii Ya?
– This is a gray-ish toned purple creme; it would be a great one to transition from winter to spring shades. Again, the formula was great, no problems at all. I used two coats for coverage.
Aloha From OPI
– An excellent color for the summer! OPI describes it as a “bright creamy coral”, and that not only is that true, but it’s so vibrant that it’s almost neon. That being said, it looks more red with a hint of orange rather that being a true pink-toned coral. Regardless, this is a fun color and a one coat application gem–although I did do two coats for the photos.
Just Lanai-ing Around
– I would describe this as a dusty rose pink/mauve shimmer, which is another good color for transitiong seasons. The shimmer is subtle, but it’s very pretty when you can catch it. I used two coats for coverage.
My Gecko Does Tricks
– A bright iridescent lime green shimmer. This was the one I was most excited to try, although I have to admit it was anticlimatic as I’m not that crazy about it. It’s probably because the formula was too thin for my liking; I had to use almost four coats. The color also appears to be richer in the bottle than it is on the nail.
This Color’s Making Waves
– This vibrant blue gleams with flecks of pink shimmer. I wish you could truly see how beautiful it is through the picture but, honestly, a photo doesn’t do it justice. The way the blue tones and shimmer reflect off natural outdoor light makes you truly feel like you looking at the ocean glittering under the sun. Forumla-wise, it’s very thin; I’d recommend at least 3 coats…and it’s so worth it.
Go With The Lava Flow
– Go With The Lava Flow – A super shimmery deep coral/red with flecks of gold. It’s basically lava in a bottle, which is clearly why it got the name. Simply put: I love it. This is definitely one of my collection favorites. The formula was good–not too thin at all; I used two coats for coverage.
Pineapples Have Peelings Too!
– For the unique golden-yellow shimmer in the collection, this polish is packed with multicolored hex glitter. This was one of the colors I was most excited to try although it didn’t end up being one of my favorites. While the polish went on smoothly, it was very hard to grab any glitter despite having the bottle upside down for a bit; it just kept sinking to the bottom! Once applied and dried, I was hoping for it to look like it did in the bottle but no dice. I really wanted to like this so I might give this another chance…I just might need a toothpick to ‘go fishing’ for that glitter.
VERDICT: I would say this is a well-rounded collection for the spring and summer considering there is something for everyone. From traditional to unique–it’s all there. My personal favorites would have to be Go With The Lava Flow and This Color’s Making Waves.
OPI Hawaii Nail lacquers will retail for $9.00 ($10.95 CAN) each at Professional Salons, including Beauty Brands, Beauty First, Chatters, Dillard’s, jcp Salons, Pure Beauty, Regis, Trade Secret, ULTA and ulta.com.
For more information, please call 800-341-9999 or visit www.opi.com. Follow OPI on Twitter @OPI_PRODUCTS and become a Facebook fan!